Pages

Monday 14 February 2011

Pub Culture

Long long ago, when I was a little girl, my aunt and her boy friend took me to a disco. It's very dark but has many lights with different colors. Many young people crowded with each other, drunk, talked and danced. In order to make my aunt happy, his boy friend bought a lot of delicious food and drinks for me. Even though I liked the food and drinks very much, I still felt that disco was a chaotic and dangerous place which related with crazy people and crime. So I had never been to another disco any more before I came to York.

It was at night when we arrived in York. My host parents Jacquie and Barry picked us and drove around the city centre. Through the window of the car, I found many young people gathering together and talking outside the bars. Barry told me that there were many pubs and bars in York and young people liked to go there at night. Why did people like to go to that kind of place? This puzzled me and I became curious about pubs and bars here.

Through other people and the Internet, I've konwn that there are differences among pubs, bars and clubs. In a bar, you can have a drink; in a pub, you can also eat some food; in a club, you can even get a place to dance. What's more, different pubs, bars and clubs have different styles and themes. Therefore, people from different tribes may go to differnet places.

The first pub I went is called Revolution. It was quite modern and had many hot songs. Young people here only wore a little just like spending their summer holidays. There were many kinds of beer, whisky, vodka, cocktails and so on. I drunk a little cup of  vodka and a big cup of Guinness. Both of  them tasted good. Besides drinking, we told jokes and played some games. Beyond the window, there was River Ouse and the wind was very cool.

After that, I also went to a few bars when we went to Edinburgh. There happened to be a football game between Scotland and Welsh. Because of this, almost every bar was full of crazy fans. When we walked into a bar, we felt embarrased because we had no idea about football. However, people there were very friendly. They told us friendship was more important than the game and welcomed us to join them, so we talked with them and enjoyed a nice night.

Now I've totally changed my view of pubs or bars. Pub culture is very important in British people's  life. People go to pubs to relax, communicate with others and even do some business. Therefore, pub has played an important role in promoting sociability.

In our country, parents always tell us that bars or clubs are full of bad people and we should never go there. Is it ture? Maybe after coming back to China, I will go and have a look. @_@


No comments:

Post a Comment